Copyright 2006 The Houston Chronicle Publishing Company
All Rights Reserved
U.S. authorities say Spring man was among 15 of the 'worst of the worst' targeted
By DALE LEZON
The Houston Chronicle
HOUTSON, Texas — A Spring man, who is accused of sexually assaulting a boy and whom law enforcement officials consider among the "worst of the worst," was one of more than 300 Houston-area fugitives arrested during a recent crackdown.
The arrests were part of a weeklong blitz by federal and local law enforcement agencies, including the Houston Police Department, dubbed "Operation Falcon II," which targeted suspects accused of violent and sexual crimes.
The roundup ran April 17-23 and covered 27 mostly Western states, as well as Guam and the Northern Marinana Islands, both U.S. territories.
Overall, 9,000 fugitives were picked up, including more than 1,100 wanted for sexual crimes.
In Houston, 328 fugitives were arrested, more than 40 of them wanted for sexual-related offenses, officials said.
"Pretty significant numbers, I think," said Deputy U.S. Marshal Marianne Matus, from her Houston office.
Carlos Bermudez, 30, offered no resistance when he was arrested at his golf-course maintenance job in The Woodlands last Friday, Matus said. She said he lived in Spring.
He had been wanted in Las Vegas since 2004 on 10 counts of sexual assault of a minor and 10 counts of lewdness with a minor.
Federal authorities said he was among 15 of the "worst of the worst" fugitives targeted in the crackdown, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshals Service.
Others arrested include people accused of violent crimes, as well as those who had failed to register as sex offenders.
No one was injured during the arrests, Matus said.
Last year, law enforcement officials arrested 10,000 fugitives during a similar weeklong roundup nationwide.
328 fugitives arrested in Houston, Texas