Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home  >  Topics  >  BART

May 21, 2014
PrintCommentRSS

BART settles lawsuit in Oscar Grant shooting

Officials say five friends who were with Oscar Grant when he was fatally shot have settled a federal lawsuit against the agency

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. — Officials say five friends who were with Oscar Grant when he was fatally shot by a San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer have settled a federal lawsuit against the agency.

BART said Jack Bryson Jr., Nigel Bryson, Michael Greer, Carlos Reyes and Fernando Anicete Jr. will split $175,000 as part of the settlement approved by the BART board on May 8.

The men filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in 2009 claiming excessive force. Their attorney, John Burris, said Tuesday the men are relieved the case is over.

The men had been detained on an Oakland train station platform with Grant when he was shot and killed by then-BART police officer Johannes Mehserles, who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the New Year's Day 2009 shooting.

Associated PressCopyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press






PoliceOne Offers