Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

August 22, 2005
Print Comment RSS

Fugitive couple returns to Tenn in shooting death of guard

Fugitive couple returns to Tenn in shooting death of guard By DUNCAN MANSFIELD
Associated Press Writer

KINGSTON, Tenn.- A couple charged in the killing of a corrections officer during a getaway outside a small-town courthouse returned to the town Monday under heavy security.

U.S. marshals brought prison inmate George Hyatte and his wife, Jennifer, to Tennessee from Columbus, Ohio. They had been held there since their arrest Aug. 10, a day and a half after authorities said Jennifer Hyatte fatally wounded a guard while helping her husband escape. George Hyatte had been at the courthouse for a hearing.

Later in the day, the couple were to appear at a hearing at the Roane County Courthouse, where the escape happened.

The wife arrived at the county jail first in a van a little before 2 p.m. About 20 uniformed officers stood guard around the jail. A few minutes later her husband arrived in a separate van.

Authorities accuse Jennifer Hyatte, a former prison nurse, of using a gun to ambush guards who were transporting her husband. Corrections officer Wayne "Cotton" Morgan, 56, was killed and Jennifer Hyatte was shot in the leg by a guard.

The Hyattes were captured late the next day at a budget motel in Columbus after the cabbie who drove them to the city called police.

George Hyatte has a long criminal record of robberies, assault and escape. Jennifer Hyatte had been fired from her prison job because of her relationship with Hyatte, whom she married this year.

PoliceOne Offers

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample