The Associated Press
Some comparisons between the Dawson College killer Kimveer Gill and Columbine assailants Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris:
THE ATTACK: Both attacks began in parking lots and the gunmen worked their way into the cafeteria.
- Gill started his lunchtime shooting-spree outside, then entered the second-floor cafeteria and opened fire without uttering a word. He had three weapons, including a rifle. He killed one person and wounded 19. Police said preliminary autopsy results show that officers shot Gill in the arm before he shot himself in the head and died.
- Klebold and Harris started firing in the parking lot and then entered the school. They shot as they walked into the cafeteria, then walked upstairs to the library and continued firing. They used sawed-off shotguns, a semiautomatic rifle, a pistol and homemade bombs stuffed with nails and shotgun shells. They killed 13 people before both committed suicide in the school library.
THE ASSAILANTS: Gill and the Columbine attackers dressed similarly, wrote online blogs, were devoted to Goth culture and had similar tastes in music, particularly heavy metal and shock-rocker Marilyn Manson. They liked guns and expressed hatred for authority figures.
- Gill, 25, is said to have worn a black trench coat all the time in the style of Goth culture and had a mohawk haircut. In postings on a Web site called vampirefreaks.com, blogs in Gill's name said he detested authority and "had an obsession with guns."
- Klebold, 17, and Harris, 18, were members of the so-called "Trenchcoat Mafia" group at Columbine high school, an organization consisting of about 10 students who wore trench coats to school. Both wore fatigues with black ankle-length black coats at the time of the attack.
THE WEB SITES: Web sites linked to Gill and the Columbine gunmen contained macabre images and references.
- A blog in Gill's name included a photo of a tombstone with his name printed on it above the phrase: "Lived fast died young. Left a mangled corpse." Another image shows Gill with his tongue out, holding up a black semiautomatic weapon with one hand and making the sign of the devil with another. "I think I have an obbsetion (sic) with guns ... muahahaha," is the inscription below another picture of Gill aiming the barrel of the gun at the camera. In postings on the Web site, Gill said he likes to play the computer game "Super Columbine Massacre."
- Klebold's site had apocalyptic imagery _ what appeared to be bomb diagrams, song lyrics, guns and skulls. At the bottom of the page, he listed his favorite chat room: "ich bin ein auslander," pidgen German for "I am an outsider." Harris liked to play the computer shooting games Duke Nukem and Doom.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.