Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home  >  Topics  >  Investigations

April 11, 2006
PrintCommentRSS

Man beaten by New Orleans police says charges have been dropped

By MARY FOSTER
Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS- Prosecutors have dropped charges against a retired teacher who was beaten by New Orleans police during an arrest caught on videotape shortly after Hurricane Katrina, he and his lawyer said Monday.

Robert Davis, 64, had been charged with public intoxication, resisting arrest and battery on a police officer.

City prosecutors did not immediately return a call for comment.

The Oct. 8 beating by three police officers was captured on video by an Associated Press Television News crew covering the aftermath of the hurricane.

Davis had returned to New Orleans to check his property following the Aug. 29 storm. He said he was looking for a place to buy cigarettes in the French Quarter when police grabbed him.

"I haven't had a drink in 25 years," Davis said Monday. "I still don't know what started it or why it happened."

Two fired officers and one current officer have been charged in the beating.

Associated PressCopyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.






PoliceOne Offers

Sponsored by

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample