Early Release Request Denied For Man Convicted of Killing Kentucky Officer
Special Judge Paul Rosenblum ruled Tuesday against Gregory Lee Porter's request in Oldham County Circuit Court for shock probation. Rosenblum declined to comment and said it would be inappropriate to elaborate on his ruling.
Porter's attorney, Richard Meena Jr., also declined to comment Wednesday because he had not seen a copy of the judge's ruling and had not spoken with his client or the Porter family about it.
Officer Eddie Mundo Jr., 29, had been searching for Porter, 28, of Pleasureville, a domestic-violence suspect, on April 16, 2003. Porter was driving drunk that day when his vehicle swerved into Mundo's oncoming police car and hit it head-on, killing Mundo instantly.
Porter then fled, hiding in the woods for hours before turning himself in, police said.
Porter was originally charged with murder, which was reduced to second-degree manslaughter in exchange for a guilty plea. He is serving a 15-year sentence at the Blackburn Correctional Complex in Frankfort. He will be eligible for parole in 2006.
He also pleaded guilty to drunken driving, wanton endangerment and leaving the scene of the collision.
Commonwealth's Attorney Kim Snell said Rosenblum's ruling is bittersweet, even if it was in Snell's favor.
"There's nothing about this case to be cause for exhilaration by anyone," Snell said. "It's a sad situation all the way around."
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.