Family of man killed by L.A. deputies settles lawsuit
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES- The family of a man who was shot to death by sheriff's deputies during a standoff settled its wrongful death lawsuit against the county for $340,000, an attorney said.
The county also will pay $105,000 in attorney's fees, he said.
Brunston, 23, was killed in Compton on Aug. 24, 2003 after deputies responded to a domestic violence call and found him on the porch of a home.
In a videotaped encounter, Brunston claimed to have a gun and said he did not care if he died but also said he would surrender if he was put in touch with his pregnant girlfriend.
A police dog was released and Brunston threw down a sandal he had been holding in his hidden hand. Deputies began shooting, killing Brunston and the dog. No gun was found on or near Brunston.
Brunston's mother, aunt and three young children sued, claiming civil rights violations, false arrest and "negligent hiring, training and supervision" of deputies who fired the fatal shots.
The aunt did not settle and her claim is scheduled for trial Tuesday, Carrillo said.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.