Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home  >  Topics  >  Legal

June 04, 2008
Print Comment RSS

N.Y. appeals court reverses $76.4 million judgement against police

By Samuel Maull
The Associated Press

NEW YORK — A man who was initially awarded $76.4 million by a jury after he was shot and paralyzed by a police officer 20 years ago will now get nothing except a bill for $100 in court costs, the state's highest court has ruled.

The Court of Appeals refused to hear Darryl Barnes' attempt to recoup the millions that two different juries ordered the city to pay him before the awards were reversed by a midlevel appeals court.

The court issued a terse, one-line decision on Tuesday, saying, "Motion for leave to appeal denied with one hundred dollars costs and necessary reproduction disbursements." That ruling ends the case, the city Law Department said.

Corporation Counsel Michael A. Cardozo, the city's top lawyer, said after the ruling, "This case became a poster child for the need for tort reform."

After 20 years and tens of thousands of dollars the city spent on legal costs, Cardozo said, "We're very pleased that the Court of Appeals refused to entertain Barnes' arguments, thereby ending the case."

The case began Aug. 22, 1988, when Officer Franz Jerome saw Barnes running with a Tec-9 semiautomatic pistol. Prosecutors said Jerome identified himself as a police officer and asked Barnes to stop. After a chase, Barnes fired and Jerome fired back, hitting Barnes and causing severe spinal injuries, they said.

Barnes has claimed that he was shot in the back at point-blank range after dropping a gun he picked up during a nearby fight with two young men, and that he did not see Jerome, who was not in uniform.

After the first trial in April 1998, the jury awarded Barnes $76.4 million, which the trial judge reduced to $8.9 million.

The city appealed, arguing the trial court had improperly excluded proof that Barnes was a member of an anti-white, anti-police group that advocates violent resistance to arrest.

Barnes failed to show up and testify at the second trial in March 2003, claiming he was too mentally and physically ill. The jury awarded him $51 million, which the trial judge reduced to $10.75 million.

The appeals judges said they reversed the second verdict and dismissed the case because Barnes, now 42, stayed away from the trial without showing he was physically or mentally unfit to participate.

Associated PressCopyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Barnes' lawyer, Robert Simels, said Tuesday that he would review whether he could take the case to federal court. He said the Court of Appeals had effectively upheld a decision that was "1,000 percent wrong."

PoliceOne Offers

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample