Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

February 19, 2013
PrintCommentRSS

Authorities: 4 dead in Calif. shooting spree

Police received police reports of shootings in several locations, and found at least 6 crime scenes

Associated Press

TUSTIN, California — A chaotic shooting spree early Tuesday through Orange County, Calif., left four people dead, including the shooter, and two others injured before the man stopped and shot himself to death in a stolen car, police said.

There were multiple crime scenes in Tustin and Orange and many more victims who were shot at but unhurt, Tustin Lt. Paul Garaven said.

The shootings began at 4:45 a.m. when deputies responding to a call found a female shot multiple times in a house in Ladera Ranch, said Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino. The city is in the southern part of the suburban county about 30 miles south of Los Angeles.

From 5:30 a.m. to 5:55 a.m., Tustin police received reports of shootings in several locations, Tustin police Supervisor Dave Kanoti.

The motive for the shootings was unclear, and it's also unclear if the victims knew each other or the shooter, Amormino said.

"I do not believe any of the victims are related to each other. It might have been a random thing," he said. "We just don't know."

The first call that came in was at Red Hill Avenue and Interstate 5. Police arrived and determined a carjacking had occurred and that victim was uninjured. An innocent bystander who was hit by gunfire was taken to a hospital, Garaven said.

The next call was at State Route 55 and McFadden Avenue. Another carjacking occurred and that victim died, Garaven said.

The last call was about a man with a gun, he said, at Edinger Avenue east of the 55. An officer arrived and found two more victims — one dead and the other injured.

Officers located the man and followed him into the city of Orange, Garaven said.

"When they tried to stop, he killed himself in the car," Garaven said.

The suspect is a male, although Garaven couldn't confirm his age. He didn't have the sexes of all the victims.

The lieutenant said the suspect succeeded in stealing a vehicle at each carjacking.

"There have been other people coming forward saying they were shot at or their cars were shot at," he said, but so far none had reported any serious injury.

The conditions of the wounded victims were unknown.

A spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol said they didn't have any active crime scenes on the freeway but the southbound 55 McFadden Avenue off-ramp would be closed until further notice.

Authorities were processing six crime scenes across the county.

Associated PressCopyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press






PoliceOne Offers

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample