Jury finds former Milwaukee officer guilty of bomb threat
The Associated Press
Jurors deliberated about 30 minutes before convicting Jon Bartlett of making the threat and of bail jumping.
Prosecutors said Bartlett called Milwaukee's District 7 station 25 times in 90 minutes Dec. 1, and twice told an officer, "There's a bomb in District 7." Officers found no bomb.
Bartlett, 34, had testified Tuesday that several people who had access to his cell phone in a bar at the time could have made the call.
"We gave Jon his day in court," said Gerald Boyle, one of his attorneys.
Bartlett was charged with bail jumping because at the time he had been out on bail on charges in the alleged beating of Frank Jude Jr.
Last year he and two other police officers were charged with beating Jude in October 2004; all three have been fired. Bartlett still faces a battery charge in that case, but a jury this April acquitted the three defendants of all other counts.
Bartlett, who was tried in Dane County on Tuesday because of publicity surrounding the Jude case, faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison on the bomb threat, and up to six years for bail jumping.
Bartlett remains in federal custody on charges he illegally tried to buy weapons and ammunition from a West Allis gun store this month. Federal authorities continue to investigate Bartlett and the other officers for possible federal charges in the Jude case.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.