Utah officers who shot killer return to duty
Salt Lake Tribune
The four Salt Lake City police officers who confronted and killed the Trolley Square shooter have returned to duty. The Ogden officer who participated in the gunbattle is expected to resume patrol next week. The last of the Salt Lake City officers came back to work this week, said Sgt. Rich Brede. Kenneth Hammond, an off-duty Ogden cop who drew his gun and pursued the shooter, also has been approved to return to duty and will be back on the job early next week, Ogden police Lt. Scott Conley said. On Feb. 12, Sulejman Talovic entered Trolley Square with a shotgun and pistol and began shooting shoppers and patrons. He killed five people and wounded four others. Hammond heard the shooting and confronted Talovic, 18. Hammond soon was joined by Salt Lake City patrol Sgt. Andy Oblad and the two police officers exchanged fire with Talovic. Then Sgt. Josh Scharman and Detectives Dustin Marshall and Brett Olsen, all gang and SWAT officers, shot and killed Talovic in Pottery Barn Kids. The quick action is credited for preventing Talovic from killing more victims. All five officers had been on paid leave after the shooting while investigators determined their role in the shooting. The Salt Lake County District Attorney ruled their use of force was justified. The officers received commendations from Salt Lake City government and the state Legislature. Investigators have not determined Talovic's motives.
Copyright 2007 Salt Lake Tribune
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.