Pa. man arrested after rampage, said he wanted police to "hurt me"

By Brock Parker
The York Dispatch

Editor's Note: Officers are increasingly finding themselves challenged with handling calls involving emotionally disturbed people (EDPs).

Here are 5 S.M.A.R.T tips that can prove invaluable to your safety and the safety of any EDPs with whom you are forced to have contact.

State police arrested an Airville man yesterday after he allegedly pointed a shotgun at police, tried to burn a Fawn Township mobile home, tried to ram a police cruiser and tried to run over two other police officers.

David Charles Kling, 40, of Airville, said he was trying to get police to "hurt me."

"I'm mad at a lot of things in my life," said Kling as he was led out of the state police barracks in Loganville in handcuffs last night. "My head is all f--- up. I can't hold a job. It's called being bi-polar. It's a bitch to live with."

Police arrested Kling near 54 Mitchell Road, Fawn Township, about 9 a.m. yesterday after a three-hour standoff. The incident began when Kling drove to his girlfriend Cindy Testerman's mobile home and allegedly started ramming Testerman's Ford Tempo into a tree with his Ford truck, police said.

Testerman told police she was at her neighbor Brenda Floyd's mobile home, also located at 54 Mitchell Road, when, around 5 a.m., Kling began ramming her Tempo with his truck. Testerman later told police that Kling had left threatening messages on her cell phone overnight.

After ramming Testerman's car, Kling began ramming Floyd's mobile home, damaging it and the deck; then tried to pour gasoline around the home to burn it down with the two women inside, police said.

Kling's father then arrived and struggled with his son to stop him from burning the home, police said.

Kling also stole a shotgun from Testerman's home and damaged her property inside with a sledgehammer, police said.

When state troopers arrived, Kling tried to flee through a field in his truck, tried to ram a police cruiser and tried several times to run over two other police officers who were on foot, police records stated.

Kling pointed the shotgun at the troopers, who fired at Kling and struck his truck. Kling was not hit, but he refused to get out of his vehicle.

A standoff followed, from about 6 a.m. until Kling surrendered at 9 a.m., police said.

About 30 troopers from Pennsylvania State Police and Maryland State Police were on scene during the incident. No one was injured.

Kling was arrested on charges of attempted homicide, attempted arson, aggravated assault, theft, possession of a firearm without a license, resisting arrest, terroristic threats and reckless endangerment.

Kling was taken to central booking at the York County Judicial Center about 6 last night.

Copyright 2006 York Newspapers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page