Guilty but free to go


Newsday (New York)
Copyright 2005 Newsday, Inc. 

There was a time, two years ago, when Allan Cameron faced the very real possibility of jail time.

He had pleaded guilty in a reckless driving case in Brooklyn and he was wanted for skipping out on a felony assault case in Philadelphia.

But despite a Department of Probation report that cited the Philadelphia warrant in recommending jail time for Cameron, a Brooklyn judge opted instead to sentence Cameron to 3 years' probation, according to a law enforcement source.

At about the same time, the source said, Philadelphia authorities were notified of the warrant - issued after he failed to show up for court in a pending felony assault case - but never moved to extradite him back to that city.

Cameron, instead, remained a free man - he served three days of community service earlier this year after an arrest for criminal trespassing - and stayed out of the limelight until yesterday's predawn shooting death of Officer Dillon Stewart.

The distinctive-looking accused cop killer - Cameron stands 6 foot 5 inches, is thin and wiry and has cornrows and a bushy ponytail - was led out of his girlfriend's apartment building as Stewart was in the final minutes of his life at Kings County Hospital Center.

He looked dazed and said nothing. His girlfriend was also taken into custody, then released more than 10 hours later.

"I don't know anything," she said. "He didn't tell me nothing. I don't know."

Indeed, police sources said, it appears Cameron simply showed up at her door after escaping into the parking garage of a nearby building.

Police tracked him down after tracing the car he was in to its previous owner, who gave detectives Cameron's name and address. Someone at his home on East 21st Street told police Cameron was with his girlfriend. Police then talked Cameron into surrendering.

Friends said the woman, 19, had been dating Cameron for a short time and was looking to end their relationship.

"She just wasn't feeling it," said a friend, Patrick Turenne, 23. "She's a nice girl. She probably just got caught up in a bad situation."

Cameron has run afoul of the law four times since 2003, according to authorities.

In January of that year, Cameron, a native of Guyana, was arrested in Brooklyn, not far from yesterday's shooting, after speeding away at 70 mph from police who tried to stop him for making a turn without signaling, authorities said.

Cameron blew through five red lights before he was caught, authorities said, and was found to be driving without a license.

A month later, with that case still pending, Cameron was again arrested for allegedly driving without a license in an incident in which he again sped away from police, the mirror on his car striking a sergeant.

That December, both cases were disposed of together, it appears, with Cameron pleading guilty to driving recklessly, driving without a license and speeding.

He got 3 years' probation and was fined $500 despite the pre-sentencing report from probation officials, the law enforcement source said. The report, according to the source, cited the Philadelphia case as a key reason for the jail recommendation.

Philadelphia authorities yesterday could not immediately comment on the warrant, other than to say that it was issued when Cameron failed to show up in court following his arrest on aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

On April 10, Cameron was arrested for trespassing. Further details were not available yesterday, but authorities said that Cameron pleaded to disorderly conduct and was ordered to perform three days of community service.

His stepbrother, Denroy Rogers, 23, said he last saw Cameron on Thanksgiving, which they celebrated at the East 21st Street home of Cameron's mom. The two often played video games together, Rogers said, but were not that close.

A neighbor, meanwhile, appeared stunned by the news. The 46-year-old woman remembers Cameron as quiet and said he often played with her grandkids.  
November 29, 2005

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page