Suspect in La. trooper shooting surrenders
The Associated Press
BATON ROUGE, La. — A man accused of shooting and wounding a state trooper surrendered to police Friday after holing up in an apartment complex near a high school.
Mack was accused of shooting a trooper who had pulled his rented car over for a traffic violation early Thursday.
Police blocked off the street outside Baton Rouge High School and checked vehicles as they left the area.
Four police officers were sent to the school as a precaution, and school board workers called parents of all students to tell them about the lockdown and ask them not to come to the school, said Chris Trahan of the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board.
Sidney Wright, 32, of Baton Rouge, turned himself in late Thursday and was booked with attempted first-degree murder of a police officer and as an accessory in the case, according to a news release.
Mack had been released from prison in October 2005 after serving 12 years of an 18-year manslaughter sentence.
He was arrested on a second-degree murder charge in 1993 and pleaded guilty to manslaughter — running his car into a bicyclist he believed owed him money, then kicking him, in December 1992. Sylvester Banks died five hours later of injuries that included a damaged spleen. Mack was arrested more than a month later after he checked himself in to Earl K. Long Hospital under an alias for treatment of a bullet wound.
The wounded police officer was treated for a moderate injury, Trooper Will Williams, spokesman for state police Troop I in Lafayette, said Thursday.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|Back to previous page|