Ohio officer fatally shoots armed 18-year-old

Related Stories
Officer involved shooting of teen in Tenn.
Chicago cops shoot teen holding BB gun

By Kelli Wynn

DAYTON, Ohio — Six months ago, Nolan Hunter told Dayton police "his life has been miserable since the day he was born."

Hunter, then 17, made the comment while police were investigating a domestic violence call at his home on Home Avenue, police records show.

Early Monday, police responded to Hunter's most recent home at 218 Basswood Ave. on a report of another disturbance. The incident ended with Dayton Police Officer Gregory A. Orick fatally shooting Hunter, who turned 18 in January.

Orick shot Hunter during a confrontation about 1:30 a.m. Monday, Director of Police Julian Davis said. Hunter died at 3:20 a.m. at Miami Valley Hospital.

Orick, 42, was put on paid administrative leave on Monday while homicide and internal affairs detectives investigate , Davis said.

Orick was dispatched to the 200 block of Basswood in response to numerous calls to police about a loud argument among several people and shots being fired, Davis said. When Orick arrived , he told dispatchers he saw Hunter shoot at a 21-year-old man, who was later arrested .

Hunter, who had a criminal record as a juvenile, was armed with a .25-caliber handgun. Orick confronted Hunter, and that's when Hunter was shot, Davis said.

Detectives are trying to determine whether Hunter fired at Orick, Davis said. He declined to say how many times Hunter was shot or how many times Orick fired.

"We shoot to stop the threat," Davis said. "We believe that Officer Orick acted as our policy stated."

Detectives are still trying to determine what caused the disturbance that led to the shooting.

Hunter withdrew from the Dayton Public School district in June 2005, according to district officials.

Montgomery County Children Services has been in contact with his family, according to spokeswoman Ann Stevens.

"We closed the last case we had with this family in November of 2006 and we have been involved with them off and on since 2003," she said.

Any officer involved in a shooting is offered counseling and asked to stay off duty for at least three days, Davis said.

The officer must also pass a psychological evaluation before returning to work.

Orick has been a member of the police force since 1999 and is assigned as a patrol officer in the 5th District.

He is the son of former Dayton City Commissioner Abner Orick, who last served the commission in 1997, according to city spokesman Tom Biedenharn.

Copyright 2007 Dayton Newspapers, Inc.

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page