Wisc. police seek hospital escapee who assaulted officer

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

WAUKESHA, Wisc. — An arrest warrant was issued Monday for a Dousman man who escaped from a state mental hospital four days after he was charged with disarming a police officer and zapping him with his Taser during an altercation after a traffic stop.

Corey T. Rehm was taken Saturday to the Winnebago Mental Health Institute in Oshkosh after Waukesha County jail staffers had indications that he was trying to harm himself, according to a statement from Sheriff's Detective Steve Pederson.

Authorities in Oshkosh think Rehm stole a 1986 Honda motorcycle from a home close to the Winnebago facility, according to Pederson.

On Monday, Town of Oconomowoc police and the Sheriff's Department tactical unit responded to a home in the Okauchee area after receiving information that Rehm might be there. He was not there, but it appears he had been there earlier, the statement says.

Rehm, 42, was charged last week in a criminal complaint with battery to a peace officer, disarming a peace officer, resisting an officer, fleeing an officer, second-offense drunken driving, possession of an electric weapon and intentionally pointing a firearm at an officer.

The events that led to Rehm's arrest began about 10:15 p.m. Wednesday when Dousman police Officer Brad Graf, who knows Rehm, stopped Rehm's truck for a tail-light violation, the complaint says. By his account, Rehm had drank at least 12 beers before the stop, and when Graf questioned him, Rehm returned to his truck, climbed inside and roared away, the complaint says.

In the brief flight, Rehm reached speeds of 85 mph to 90 mph before pulling into a driveway on Highway 67 and climbing out, the complaint says. Graf followed him, and a foot chase ensued.

After being hit twice by volleys from the Taser, Rehm removed the probes and charged Graf, the complaint says. During the scuffle that followed, Rehm punched and kicked Graf before gaining control of his Taser and discharging it in the officer's neck.

Rehm ran to a nearby shed, the complaint says. Moments later, Rehm emerged with a shotgun and urged the officer to shoot him.

But Graf, who had drawn his handgun, didn't shoot and instead called help to the scene, the complaint says. Rehm then ran to a nearby cornfield and hid, the complaint says. He surrendered after a SWAT team arrived.

Copyright 2007 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page