Fla. man shoots officers, cuts hostages during standoff

By Macollvie Jean-Francois
The Sun-Sentinel

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. A tip for anyone having houseguests over: Don't hold them hostage, stab and point a handgun at them, especially with police surrounding your home.

That's the treatment Alfred Eugene Juska, 64, gave his visitor Algimantas Bronisas, 58, at his apartment in the 1500 block of Arthur Street for several hours between late Saturday night and early Sunday, said police spokesman Detective Carlos Negron.
Police shot Juska after he fired at them during a four-hour standoff and refused to surrender, Negron said.

Juska, 64, was at Memorial Regional Hospital. His condition was not immediately available. The charges against him include aggravated battery, aggravated assault and false imprisonment.

Here's what Negron said happened:

Bronisas arrived at his friend Juska's home July 1 from his native St. Vincent in the West Indies so he could undergo eye surgery at a clinic. Bronisas told detectives Juska began acting irrationally and drank heavily as the week wore on.

Juska downed a gallon of wine over a period of a few hours Saturday night and acted drunk, Negron said.

"[Bronisas] asked him, 'Hey, are you OK? Do you want something to eat?,'" Negron said. "That's what, it looks like, made him snap."

Juska went into his bedroom and came back into the living room with a hunting knife. It was about 11 p.m.

"He said he had nothing to live for, that he was going to carve him [Bronisas] up," Negron said.

When Bronisas asked him not to hurt him, that he was going to have eye surgery, Juska told him "he was going to gouge his eye out and that he won't have to have any surgery," Negron said.

Juska lunged at Bronisas with the knife, Negron said. A fight started, but Bronisas proved no match for the 6-foot, 230-pound Juska. The attacker stabbed Bronisas in the chest and arm, forced him into the bathroom and ordered him to lie down in the bathtub, Negron said.

Police called by neighbors who heard the commotion arrived about that time. Juska went to the door, told officers everything was OK, and refused to allow them inside, the detective said.

When officers noticed Juska had a handgun tucked in his waistband, he pulled it out and fired at them, Negron said.

Police shot back and called for backup. A SWAT team, hostage negotiator and dozens of other officers arrived.

Juska went back into his bathroom. He pointed the gun at Bronisas and said he was going to kill him, other people he had a vendetta against, police officers and then himself, Negron said.

About 3 a.m., Juska went to the front door to shoot at officers again, Negron said, but police shot him.

Bronisas heard him groaning and moaning, and left the bathroom to grab the gun that had fallen from Juska's hand. He hid it and called police, telling them them Juska was down.

"This is one of the things that us police officers face every day," Negron said. "You never know what's going to happen. They knocked at the door and they were met by gunfire. It was scary."

In 2004, Juska had been charged with battery, domestic violence, and resisting arrest with violence, according to records. The outcome of those charges was not immediately avaiable.

Copyright 2007 Sun-Sentinel Communications

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page