Three arrested after Okla. standoff

Augie Frost, Staff Writer
The Oklahoman
Copyright 2006 The Oklahoman, All Rights Reserved

Oklahoma City police arrested three teenagers on murder complaints Sunday after a four-hour standoff in relation to Saturday's shooting death of a 14-year old.

The standoff began in the 900 block of NW 22 about 3:45 p.m. as officers, while serving a warrant, tried to arrest the trio on accusations they were involved in the shooting death of DaWan Gilbreath outside of a northeast city convenience store.

Arrested were:

- Ernest Ogles, 18;

- Two other boys, ages 16 and 15.

Police were able to obtain a warrant for the teens' arrest Saturday, but it was the help of an anonymous tip Sunday that led investigators to them.

Police Sgt. Paco Balderrama said the tip was "convenient," leading to arrests within about 24 hours of the shooting.

"Sometimes you catch some good breaks and sometimes you don't," he said. "All we do is play the hands we are dealt."

Balderrama said people inside the NW 22 house refused to come out, prompting the standoff.

Once a tactical team armed with fully automatic weapons surrounded the home, police were able to persuade its occupants to give themselves up.

First out of the house was a woman carrying a small child, followed by another woman and five men — including the three teens.

It wasn't clear what the others' involvement was or whether they would be jailed on any complaints.

Police offered very few new details Sunday about Gilbreath's death at the Happy Foods convenience store a day earlier.

Balderrama said Gilbreath was at the store at the same time as the accused shooters.

"We have to have some solid evidence that it was gang related," he said. "I'm not saying that it's not, but we don't have enough information to make that determination yet." 

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page