Failure to stop leads to high-speed pursuit in Maine

By Diana Bowley
The Bangor Daily News

DEXTER, Me. A Dover-Foxcroft man was arrested Saturday after he allegedly refused to stop for Dover-Foxcroft police and then fled to Dexter where he led police on a high-speed chase.

Richard IngrMeam, 27, was charged with eluding police, driving to endanger, criminal speed, illegal attachment of registration plates, and operating after suspension, according to Dexter Police Chief Art Roy. His initial court appearance on these charges is set for Jan. 30 in Newport District Court.

Additionally, Dover-Foxcroft police have charged Ingram with failure to stop for a police officer and for an expired inspection sticker, according to reserve Officer Ryan Nickerson of the Dover-Foxcroft Police Department. Ingram is expected to make an appearance on those charges on Jan. 28 in 13th District Court in Dover-Foxcroft.

Nickerson said he noticed an expired inspection sticker on Ingram's 1995 Chevrolet pickup truck while on routine patrol on Route 15. As he turned his cruiser around at about 1:35 p.m. Saturday to stop Ingram, Ingram continued on and weaved between vehicles to evade the officer, according to Nickerson.

When the officer lost sight of Ingram's vehicle, he radioed the information ahead to Dexter police and the Piscataquis County Sheriff's Department.

Cpl. Alan Grinnell of the Dexter Police Department spotted Ingram a few minutes later southbound on Route 23. When Grinnell pulled in behind him and flashed his blue lights and siren to stop him, Ingram sped up, according to Roy.

Roy said Ingram led Grinnell through Dexter and onto Zions Hill Road to Ripley at speeds of up to 100 mph. Ingram nearly struck some pedestrians in Dexter, he said.

Ingram eventually lost control of his truck on Mills Road in Ripley and it crashed into a ditch, Roy said. When that occurred, Ingram allegedly bolted from the vehicle and ran into a wooded area. He was caught a short time later by Roy.

Dexter and Dover-Foxcroft police were assisted by Sgt. Kevin Adam of the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, Maine State Police Trooper Chris Carr and the Piscataquis County Sheriff's Department.

Ingram was released from Dexter police custody on $40 cash bail with restrictions.

Copyright 2007 Bangor Daily News

Full story: ...

LexisNexis Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Back to previous page