11/20/2000

Maryland trooper, fiance who is a retired trooper, face charges

(XENIA, OHIO) -- A Maryland state trooper and her fiance, a retired 20-year veteran of the Maryland State Police, were arraigned Friday on charges of obstructing official business after an incident at a Xenia Twp. house fire Oct. 29.

Shelly Lemon, 29, a state trooper first class for the Glen Burnie post of the state police, pleaded not guilty to one count of obstructing official business, a fifth-degree felony, before Judge M. David Reid of Greene County Common Pleas Court. She could face up to 12 months in prison if convicted.

Lemon, a trooper for six years, has been suspended without pay. The state police internal affairs unit is investigating the incident, said Lt. Joe Barker, spokesman for the Maryland State Police headquarters in Pikesville, Md.

Lemon and her brother, Ryan, 20, of 1291 Mason Road, Wilberforce, allegedly interrupted deputies' attempt to arrest their father and her fiance, said Greene County assistant prosecutor Jeff Hunter.

Her fiance Guy Steven Schofield, 42, of Glen Burnie, Md., pleaded not guilty to one count of obstructing official business and felonious assault, a first-degree felony that carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison. He also was a trooper and retired earlier this year, Barker said.

Dale Edward Lemon, 50, of 1291 Mason Road, pleaded not guilty to obstructing official business and assault, a fourth-degree felony.

The Lemons have been released on their own recognizance. Schofield also is out of jail after earlier posting $ 27,500 bond. Reid set a March 19 trial date.

Dayton attorney Steve Pierson declined comment.

According to Greene County sheriff's reports, Dale Lemon and Schofield scuffled with a sheriff's deputy after Lemon attempted to move, from his front yard, a firefighter's pickup truck.

Firefighters left the scene at 3:30 a.m. after the fire had been extinguished, but returned two hours later after a neighbor reported the house was on fire again.

The first fire was caused by a shorted-out extension cord to a space heater in the basement, but the second fire is being investigated as 'suspicious.'

(iSyndicate; Dayton Daily News; Nov. 18, 2000). Terms and Conditions: Copyright(c) 2000 LEXIS-NEXIS, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights Reserved.

Back to previous page