12 arrested, fans start garbage can fires after Ohio-Michigan game

(COLUMBUS, Ohio) -- Police and firefighters kept a lid on the campus area after yesterday's OSU- Michigan game, but beer-filled rabble-rousers still found ways to create mischief early this morning.

At least a dozen people were arrested on charges ranging from resisting arrest to arson, Sgt. Earl W. Smith, a spokesman with the Columbus Division of Police, said Nov. 19.

Firefighters responded to more than 30 trash-bin fires last night and this morning, and five dozen fires total since Nov. 17 night, Smith said.

Before yesterday's game was over, college-age youths began gathering on W. Lane Avenue, where they blocked passage and began to rock a car driven by North Side resident Tameka Tucker.

Riding with Tucker were a friend, Darnell Kellam of the campus area, and Tucker's 1-year-old daughter, R'iana.

"I honked to back them away, but they began throwing things at my car and dumping beer on it,'' Tucker said. "I had my 1-year-old in there. Those were OSU people, and they make me ashamed of going to OSU.''

A half-dozen fires burned in trash bins in the 100 block of Norwich Avenue. Witnesses said a group of 15 to 20 people made two trips through the alley, setting the bins ablaze about 7:45 p.m.

"It's really too bad when a few will cause damage that reflects on so many, '' OSU spokeswoman Elizabeth Conlisk said.

Ground zero for post-game partying -- the corner of W. Lane Avenue and Tuttle Park Place -- was littered last night with thousands of smashed beer cans, and clutter from hundreds of tailgating motor homes parked at the ROTC Drill Lot across from the Varsity Club, 278 W. Lane Ave.

Two fights broke out there in the early evening as thousands of partyers drank and danced in the outdoor patio and parking lot, seemingly oblivious to the below-freezing temperatures.

Billy Corbin of Dublin, OSU Class of '98, expected "no real trouble'' in the campus because "We lost. If we won, anything might happen.''

Hundreds of police on foot and bike patrol monitored W. Lane, High Street and 12th and 13th avenues, which in the past have been flashpoints for post- game trouble.

By 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 19, police had moved their attention to monitoring beer parties on E. 12th, 13th and 14th avenues, where parties were loud but generally orderly, Smith said.

Police said they hoped cold weather would keep larger parties from forming as the night went on.

(iSyndicate; The Columbus Dispatch; Nov. 19, 2000) Terms and Conditions: Copyright(c) 2000 LEXIS-NEXIS, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights Reserved.

Back to previous page