Officer shoots, kills carjacking suspect

(ST. LOUIS) -- A night of crime that began with a carjacking in St. Louis ended about three hours later on Dec. 30 in Belleville, when a police officer shot to death one of three suspects, police said.

In between were a holdup and an attempted holdup in Belleville, police said.

Illinois State Police are investigating the case.

The shooting occurred in the 100 block of East Washington Street, a block from the Belleville Police Department. Investigators said the officer discharged his service weapon while attempting to catch the suspect.

The dead man was identified as Dwayne R. Jackson, 20, of East St. Louis.

Two other suspects, age 15 and 17, were captured, and charges were being sought.

Officials did not identify the officer who did the shooting, but sources close to the investigation confirmed that it was Lt. James Goodwin, who heads the department's gang crimes unit. He was not injured.

Goodwin has more than 25 years with the department and was formerly chief of investigation. In May 1997, he was edged out for police chief by a fellow lieutenant, James Rokita.

Following standard procedure, he was taken off street duty pending the State Police inquiry.

Master Sgt. Robyn Blaha of the State Police said Belleville police had recovered a pistol thought to have been used by the suspects, but he would not say where the pistol was found.

Police said the carjacked vehicle, a maroon 1994 Nissan Quest minivan, was taken at gunpoint about 6 p.m. Thursday from a couple who were visiting relatives in the 4600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in St. Louis.

Police there said the woman was in the van and that her companion was entering it when a man with a pistol demanded his wallet. When the man said he didn't have one, the suspects forced the couple into the back seat of the van, police said. The suspects drove around the block before taking the woman's purse and ejecting the couple from the van. They were not injured.

Belleville's chief of investigation, Sgt. Roger Barfield, gave this account of events in Belleville:

About 7:40 p.m., the van pulled up beside two youths in the 500 block of Belleville's East D Street. One of three occupants opened the van's side door and pointed a pistol at the youths, demanding money. One surrendered some pocket change. The other tossed the suspects his wallet.

About five minutes later, the van pulled up beside a man, 50, in the 400 block of Forest Avenue just blocks from the first holdup. The driver got out and demanded the man's money and wallet. The man turned his pockets inside out to show he had nothing. The driver got back in and drove off.

Minutes later, police spotted the van on the nearby parking lot behind Union United Methodist Church at 721 East Main Street in Belleville. Its three occupants fled on foot.

Police captured one near the van and a second a short time later. The youths live in East St. Louis. Charges are pending in Belleville and St. Louis.

Investigators said the third suspect, later identified as Jackson, emerged from an alley about 8:40 p.m. and ran behind a police squad car. He was shot as Goodwin tried to arrest him, sources said.

Belleville Police Officer Shoots, Kills Carjacking Suspect Robert Goodrich; Of The Post-Dispatch December 2, 2000, Saturday, Five Star Lift Edition Copyright 2000 St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Inc. St. Louis Post-Dispatch December 2, 2000, Saturday, Five Star Lift Edition The suspect was one of three who police believe stole a car in St. Louis. Terms and Conditions Copyright(c) 2000 LEXIS-NEXIS, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights Reserved.

Back to previous page