New Year's Eve pistol standoff
ends without injury or gunfire
[Vero Beach, FL]

Jeff Christman Press Journal Staff Writer
January 2, 2001, Tuesday
Copyright 2001 Stuart News Company
Press Journal (Vero Beach, FL)
January 2, 2001, Tuesday

() -- A Vero Beach man held police and his neighbors at bay for more than two hours on New Year's Day after barricading himself in his house with a pistol in hand.

The city's critical response team wrestled the man to the ground and took him into custody more than two hours after the midday standoff began.

The standoff started just after noon when city police responded to the 1400 block of 26th Avenue after receiving reports that a 30-year-old man had cut his wrists and was bleeding uncontrollably, according to police.

Police Chief James Gabbard said when officers entered the residence, they observed the man had a pistol in his hand.

The man retreated into a bedroom where he barricaded himself, Gabbard said.

Police backed away until further assistance could arrive, Gabbard said, and then police began negotiations with the man.

The victim's mother also had conversations with him under supervision of police, according to police radio traffic.

Vero Beach police and emergency services cordoned off the 1400 block of 26th Avenue and residents were asked to remain in their homes for more than two hours until the man was taken into police custody.

About 2 p.m., the Police Department's critical response team arrived with high-powered rifles, shields and a battering ram, a heavy metal bar to break down doors.

The team stormed the house about 40 minutes later.

Response-team members wrestled the man to the ground and took him into custody within moments, Gabbard said.

He said it appeared the man had lost a significant amount of blood from his wounds.

Aside from the man's self-inflicted wounds, no one was injured during the standoff or raid of the house.

Police planned to file no charges.

The man was transported by ambulance to Indian River Memorial Hospital for treatment and evaluation.

He was released later in the afternoon from the hospital, hospital officials said.

Back to previous page