Dad of gas-soaked man killed after ECD use files lawsuit
Man had soaked himself in gasoline during a domestic dispute and caught fire when he was hit with the ECD
PITTSBURGH — The father of a Pennsylvania man who had soaked himself in gasoline during a domestic dispute is suing the Pennsylvania State Police because his son caught fire and died when a trooper used a stun gun to subdue him.
Shawn Mohney's federal civil rights suit filed Tuesday says 24-year-old Levi Mohney suffered burns over 98 percent of his body in March 2009.
The encounter happened at a mobile home where Levi Mohney's girlfriend lived in Strattanville, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Troopers were responding to a report that Levi Mohney had assaulted her.
Shawn Mohney's attorney tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that there was no need to use the electric stun gun because Levi Mohney wasn't armed and wasn't a threat to police.
State police are not commenting on the lawsuit.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
|Back to previous page|