Suspect in carjack and cop shooting held on bail
[Dedham, MA]

By David Weber
February 21, 2001 Wednesday All Editions
Copyright 2001 Boston Herald Inc.
The Boston Herald
February 21, 2001 Wednesday All Editions

(DEDHAM, Mass.) -- A man accused of shooting a police officer after a spree of thefts and carjackings was held on $500,000 cash bail yesterday after a prosecutor portrayed him as a heroin user who would stop at nothing to evade police and commit crimes.

Richard Glawson, 35, stood in the court's prisoner dock with a towel concealing his face. Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Mary Hogan Sullivan recited allegations related to three carjackings, two home invasions and wanton gunplay in addition to the shooting of Officer Michael Buckley, 38, in his hand last week.

Buckley's parents, Denise and Michael, who is a sergeant on the same Dedham force as his son, sat a few feet away in the courtroom and later applauded Judge Mary Ann Driscoll's decision to set high bail.

After the hearing, Denise Buckley said her son is recuperating well, but remained puzzled at how a man with an 11-page criminal record could be free to carry out the crimes he is charged with committing between Tuesday and Friday last week.

"I couldn't believe it. Why is he walking the street?" Denise Buckley asked rhetorically. "At least my son knows what might happen, but all these other people (victims) expect their homes to be safe and to be able to drive down the street with their daughter."

She was referring to the charge that Glawson stole a car at gunpoint Friday in the Dedham Mall parking lot, then crashed into a woman driving with her daughter in Roslindale Square, as officers, including the younger Buckley, pursued.

Hogan Sullivan said Glawson's spree began Feb. 12 when he allegedly broke into a house on Calumet Street in Mission Hill and stole a safe containing a gun, ammunition and $60,000 worth of jewelry.

On Thursday, he allegedly stole a wallet from an employee at Filene's at the Chestnut Hill Mall, then carjacked a vehicle and fired his gun as security guards closed in on him.

Newton police chased him into Roslindale, where he dumped the car, ran through the front door and out the back door of a house on Murray Hill Road, then carjacked a green Toyota on Washington Street.

The carjacker escaped, and the stolen Toyota was found abandoned that night in Mattapan.

Police said they picked up Glawson's trail again the next day when he went to the Dedham Mall and tried to use the credit cards stolen from the Chestnut Hill Mall employee.

Buckley was the primary officer in pursuit after Glawson allegedly carjacked another vehicle at the Dedham Mall and sped up Washington Street into West Roxbury.

Terms and Conditions
Copyright©2000 LEXIS-NEXIS, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights Reserved.

Back to previous page