Honored Michigan State Trooper Fatally Shot

Officer Down: Kevin M. Marshall - [Newaygo County, Michigan]

Police Suspect Gunman Remains in Home

WDIV-TV Detroit

A Michigan State Police trooper was killed during a standoff with a barricaded gunman in southwestern Michigan.

Kevin M. Marshall, 33, of the Newaygo Post was fatally shot early Monday morning at a residence in Newaygo County, according to state police. Police said officers from the Hesperia Police Department and Newaygo Sheriff's Department attempted to serve a felony warrant for criminal sexual conduct on the man who barricaded himself in the home.

The Michigan State Police Emergency Support Team was requested at the scene. The suspect fired two shots at the officers when negotiations were attempted, police said. After the negotiations failed, a state police entry team entered the residence where they were met with gunfire, according to police.

Marshall was shot in the gunfire. He was transported to Gerber Hospital in Fremont and airlifted to Spectrum Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids where he died during surgery, police said.

Marshall was an 8-year veteran of the department and a member of the Emergency Support Team and was a graduate of the 111th Recruit School. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who was reportedly present in May when Marshall was presented with the Michigan State Police Bravery Award, issued the following statement:

"I join my fellow citizens in mourning the loss of Trooper Marshall and my heart goes out to his wife, children and entire family. Trooper Marshall was a true hero and his loss is a grim reminder of the danger our first responders place themselves in everyday so that we might be safe."

Marshall is the 49th Michigan State Police trooper to die in the line of duty, according to police.

Michigan State Police Director Colonel Tadarial J. Sturdivant said, "This is a sad day for the Michigan State Police, the state of Michigan and the Marshall family. Today we lost a courageous and caring young man in the prime of his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones."

Early Tuesday morning state police suspected the barricaded gunman was still alive inside his home.
Back to previous page