March 13, 2008
Tarheel K-9 Offers Advanced Detection and High Risk Patrol Seminars
High Risk Patrol Deployments 4-Day Seminar & NTPDA CERT - May 19 – 21st
Advanced Detection: May 19 – 21st: The seminar will be open to Law Enforcement K-9 handlers and supervisors. The class will be open to up to 15 handler/dog teams. Spectators, including supervisors are welcome to attend. The class will comprise both classroom instruction and practical handling in scenario based problems. Advanced Detection will cover practical detection scenarios and problem solving all aspects of detector dog teams in both explosives detection and narcotics detection. This seminar will also include operations for searching warehouses, tractor trailers, checkpoints, and vehicle stops. Includes classroom and field work.
• Learn to properly deploy their K9s in real-world scenarios.
• Be challenged on hides of varying height, depth, weight and permeation times.
• Prepare to perform above currently existing canine certification protocols.
• Prepare for the NORT explosives detection certification.
• Prepare for Scenario-based NTPDA certifications www.tacticalcanine.com
• Learn techniques for more efficient deployment: free searching & scanning
• Learn techniques through hide placement to create a more independent K9
• Reduce the handler dependency of their k9 in difficult problems.
• Learn how to set up training to extinct responses to distractor odors.
• Learn how to set up maintenance training plans to improve performance
• Improve final response behaviors: scratching or passive-stare to source.
High Risk Patrol: May 19 – 21st: The class will be open to up to 15 handler/dog teams. Spectators, including supervisors are welcome to attend. The class will comprise both classroom instruction and practical street work. Classroom work will cover tactical approaches, deployments, and apprehensions, using trained police dogs in building/area searches and felony vehicle stops. K9 teams will run through scenario-based problems in these areas. Instruction will also cover the integration of K9 patrol teams with tactical teams in these scenarios. Additional instruction will cover proper decoy techniques, including proper use of bite suit, hidden sleeve and muzzle. The methods taught in this seminar allow for safer approaches to high risk deployments, easier integration into tactical units, and significantly reduced liability exposure. Additionally we will cover progressive use of e-technology for distance control of K9s both in training and under deployment. Explanations of how to train with e-collars, and integrate them into the functions of your K9 unit will be covered in detail.
• Learn progressive methods for deploying in high risk scenarios
• Deploy in building search, area search, and felony vehicle stop scenarios.
• Learn how to achieve fundamental training goals while practicing common high risk scenarios.
• Learn integration of K9 Patrol Teams with Tactical teams: Both Entry and Perimeter Usages.
• Learn proper decoy technique for training these high risk scenarios
• Learn progressive use of e-technology for distance control and deployment.
Jerry Bradshaw, Training Director
Tarheel Canine Training, Inc.
230 W. Seawell Street
Sanford, NC 27330
Cell. 919-244-8044 (Sales & registration)
NTPDA Cert: May 22nd
Please send this in to register for the seminar. Send to: Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. PO Box 1694, Sanford, NC 27330. Registration can also be taken on Friday of the seminar, please call ahead to reserve a spot, 919-774-4152 or 919-244-8044. Hotel Info & Schedule of events will be provided by contact persons, or after registration has been received.
Agency Affiliation _______________________________________________________
K9 Trained in ____ Narcotics ____ Explosives ___ Patrol Functions (Please check all that apply)
K9 Certified with ________________________________________ (Agency or Organization)
Address ___________________________________ State__________ Zip ____________
Tel # ____________________ (C) ____________________ (W) E-Mail________________
K9 Team participating $200 for High Risk Patrol & Advanced Detection
K9 Team Participating $150 for Advanced Detection
Spectator participating $80, shall not be pro-rated.
NTPDA Member Team/Spectator participating $40 (You can join at NASA on 1sr Day)
NTPDA Certification Payment will be collected on certification day. See www.tacticalcanine.com for details.
$_______ is enclosed. Make Checks Payable to Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. If NTPDA Member make check payable to NTPDA.
This release is intended to discharge Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. its owners, officers, agents, and sponsors, Sek-Tek Inc, and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Southern Regional Police Department, PA from and against any and all liability arising out of or in connection with my participation in any of the seminar events for which I am registered or in which I am participating.
I understand that serious accidents can occur during police dog training, events, and other dog-related activities. Participation in such activities may occasionally result in serious personal injury and/or property damages. Knowing and appreciating such risks, nevertheless, I hereby agree to assume those risks and full responsibility for the actions of my dog(s) and myself.
By signing below I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to this hold harmless agreement.
Applicant’s Signature Date
NASA Contact Info & Hotels
Lt. Jeff Rogers
GREENBELT NASA/GODDARD AREA
7200 HANOVER DR
GREENBELT, MD 20770 UNITED STATES
Hotel Front Desk: 1-301-9827000
Marriott-Greenbelt - more info
6400 Ivy Ln, Greenbelt, MD
(301) 441-3700 -
Comfort Inn & Suites - more info
9020 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD