Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

December 21, 2006
Print Comment RSS

Baltimore man surrenders after 7-hour stand-off

By Annie Linskey, sun reporter
The Baltimore Sun

A man armed with a rifle and a shotgun fired shots in a Southwest Baltimore house and held police at bay for more than seven hours yesterday before he surrendered, city police reported.

The man was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center for a psychological evaluation after the standoff, which ended at about 11:30 a.m. No injuries were reported. Police withheld the man's name because he wasn't immediately charged.

Police were called to a house in the 1900 block of Lemmon St. about 4 a.m. after receiving a report of a domestic dispute, said Deputy Major Michael McDonald. They found a woman standing outside the house. The man remained inside, where several gunshots were fired. McDonald said it was unclear whether the shots were fired at officers.

"We secured [the scene] and we negotiated," McDonald said. "It took some time, but he gave up." When the man surrendered, he turned over a rifle and a shotgun, McDonald said. The man was not holding hostages, he said.

Diane Ellis, who lives near the house where the man was staying, said several city tactical officers took up positions in her bathroom and on her roof yesterday morning. She recalled hearing two people arguing in the house about 4 a.m. About 30 minutes later, she heard three shots. "It was a heck of a scene," she said.

Copyright 2006 The Baltimore Sun Company
All Rights Reserved

Full story: Baltimore man surrenders after 7-hour stand-off

PoliceOne Offers

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample