P-1 Editor's Note -- "Treat a car just like any other deadly weapon," says training expert Craig Stapp.
- Don't get in a position where you're caught or trapped physically by the car (like standing in the V of an open door: if the car backs up, you're stuck.)
- Don't stand in front of a vehicle or reach out and hold on, assuming the driver won’t take off. He might!
- Don't grab someone inside a vehicle such that he can grab you and drive off.
- Don't reach inside a vehicle grabbing for keys.
- Don't stick your arm through a half-opened window.
Craig Stapp is a firearms training sergeant for the Tempe, AZ PD and a member of the Technical Advisory Board for the Force Science Research Center at Minnesota State University.