Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

May 12, 2011
PrintCommentRSS

Officials: 2 men arrested in NYC terror probe

Plot involved a New York City synagogue; men could face state terrorism charges

By Colleen Long and Tom Hays
Associated Press

NEW YORK — Two Americans were in custody Thursday on accusations they bought or tried to buy guns and grenades in a suspected terror plot against New York synagogues, a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press.

The pair were of Algerian and Moroccan descent and could face state terrorism charges, the person said.

Two law enforcement officials confirmed the arrests. One of the officials said the FBI was consulted about the case and declined to pursue it.

The three people weren't authorized to speak publicly about the case and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

It wasn't immediately clear what synagogues might have been discussed as potential targets, and no other details were immediately available. Officials were expected to provide more information later Thursday.

New York City police have been on high alert for threats to the city since the U.S. raid that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden over a week ago.

Terror suspects are traditionally prosecuted by federal authorities. New York passed its own anti-terrorism law within six days of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, and lawmakers at the time said they thought it may never be used.

The law states that a person can be found guilty of terrorism when he or she commits a crime with the goal of intimidating or coercing civilians, influencing government policy or affecting the conduct of a government. The statute also increases the penalty of crimes if the suspect is also found guilty of making terrorist threats or committing terrorist acts.

Four men were arrested in 2009 on charges they plotted to blow up synagogues in the Bronx and shoot down military planes at an air base upstate.

A federal jury in Manhattan convicted the men last year. Defense lawyers claimed the four never would have engaged in such plans without being pushed into it by the FBI's undercover informant. Judge Colleen McMahon scolded the government, suggesting the case bordered on entrapment, but upheld the convictions.

Copyright 2011 Associated Press

 


Associated Press writer Jennifer Peltz contributed to this report

Associated PressCopyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 






PoliceOne Offers

Sponsored by

P1 on Facebook

Connect with PoliceOne

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google

Get the #1 Police eNewsletter

Police Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
See Sample