Nev. trooper pleads guilty in freeway crash that killed four
By KEN RITTER
Associated Press Writer
LAS VEGAS- A former state trooper pleaded guilty Thursday to five counts of felony reckless driving in an on-duty crash that killed four people and badly injured a pregnant teen.
Joshua Corcran, 29, admitted driving 113 mph in a Nevada Highway Patrol cruiser that slammed into the back of a Cadillac on Interstate 15 south of Las Vegas on Feb. 19. The speed limit was 65 mph.
Las Vegas police determined the emergency lights and siren on the NHP cruiser were not in use, and that Corcran was neither chasing a vehicle nor answering an emergency call when he hit the car.
Police said Corcran was hurrying home for dinner.
The injured pregnant teenage girl, Cecilia Lopez Cruz, 15, spent three days in a coma. The girl was recuperating with family members in Utah and her unborn child is healthy, said her family's lawyer, Eva Garcia-Mendoza.
Those killed were the child's father, Victor De La Cruz-De Leon, 21; Cruz's sister, Reymunda Lopez-Vazquez, 21; a relative, Jose Sanchez Lopez, 42; and family friend, Jose Roberto Mejia Lang, 19.
"We believe this is a fair and just result," Garcia-Mendoza said. "The family believes that justice has been done."
Corcran was dismissed from the Highway Patrol last month. He remained free on house arrest pending sentencing Aug. 8. He faces up to 30 years in prison.
Corcran declined comment as he left court.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.