Nine injured in latest riot at Los Angeles County jail
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES- The latest outbreak of racially charged rioting at a southern California jail sent eight inmates to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said. A ninth inmate was treated at the scene.
Dozens of inmates have been injured and one killed since clashes between Hispanic and black inmates began Feb. 4 at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) outside Los Angeles.
Small brawls followed throughout the week, including a Friday fight among 73 inmates that took an hour to quell.
The latest rioting took place despite a lockdown of all 19,000 inmates in the Los Angeles County jail system.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court