Chicago police supt. on the front lines at riots
'You lead from the front... I was going to be in the middle of it, I just had my helmet in the truck and never had a chance to get it,' McCarthy says
By Mark Konkol
CHICAGO — Under the hot midday sun, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy wiped his brow and took unexpected compliments from a few of the thousands of folks from across the country who marched down Michigan Avenue to protest the NATO Summit.
"Thank you for keeping this peaceful," a woman in pink said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Chicago police supt. on the front lines at riots
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform