Trending Topics: When militias clash with cops
By PoliceOne Staff
An ongoing occupation of a federal building in eastern Oregon is just the latest in a series of high-profile incidents involving militia members. For this week’s ‘Trending Topics,’ take a look at these five instances in which cops clashed with these anti-government groups.
The remote high desert of eastern Oregon became the latest flashpoint for anti-government sentiment as armed protesters occupied a national wildlife refuge.
The presence of armed militia members working on their own in a region known for human smuggling, drug smuggling and illegal immigration has added one more variable to an already complex and tense situation.
Christian militia leader was accused of plotting the mass murder of law enforcement as a prelude to a larger war against the government.
Scores of grim citizen militiamen in combat fatigues — semiautomatic weapons slung over their shoulders — patrolled the lands during a months-long standoff with federal agents.
Militia members were caught on tape talking about scattering ricin, obtaining and using explosives.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy