Video: Ariz. cops under fire for riot 'blindside'
Incident occurred as fans hurled beer bottles and firecrackers at officers
TUCSON, Ariz. — Tucson police are reviewing video of a woman apparently being shoved by an officer in riot gear during a melee after the University of Arizona basketball team lost in the NCAA tournament.
The Police Department said Sunday that internal affairs is reviewing the video of the Saturday night incident. Police say it occurred as fans hurled beer bottles and firecrackers at officers, who then used pepper spray to disperse the crowd. Fifteen people were arrested.
The video shows the officer apparently shoving the woman who's walking by and then she falls onto a bench. The view is partially obscured by a man standing in front of the camera.
Officer Brandon Tatum said officials aren't immediately available Monday to comment further.
A woman who reportedly took the video didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court