Cops hit with bottles while aiding victim shot during police protest
Police and paramedics were trying to help victim when demonstrators threw bottles, bricks, rocks, and other heavy objects at them
By Amy Larson
SALINAS, Calif. — A riot broke out and a homicide happened Wednesday night near where an emotional anti-police protest was staged on Del Monte Avenue in Salinas.
Constantino Garcia, 23, of Salinas, was on the sidewalk outside his house on Mae Avenue and Del Monte Avenue when he was shot multiple times at 9:07 p.m. Police and paramedics were trying to help Constantino Garcia when demonstrators threw bottles, bricks, rocks, and other heavy objects at them.
East Salinas residents had been protesting all day on Del Monte Avenue where Salinas police shot a man Tuesday. A witness recorded the man's death on video and uploaded it on YouTube.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter