Cops hit with bottles while aiding victim shot during police protest
Police and paramedics were trying to help victim when demonstrators threw bottles, bricks, rocks, and other heavy objects at them
By Amy Larson
SALINAS, Calif. — A riot broke out and a homicide happened Wednesday night near where an emotional anti-police protest was staged on Del Monte Avenue in Salinas.
Constantino Garcia, 23, of Salinas, was on the sidewalk outside his house on Mae Avenue and Del Monte Avenue when he was shot multiple times at 9:07 p.m. Police and paramedics were trying to help Constantino Garcia when demonstrators threw bottles, bricks, rocks, and other heavy objects at them.
East Salinas residents had been protesting all day on Del Monte Avenue where Salinas police shot a man Tuesday. A witness recorded the man's death on video and uploaded it on YouTube.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- PD removes 'Blue Lives Matter,' Punisher car decals after criticism
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Report: Hiring standards may be lowered to meet Border Patrol staffing goal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber