logo for print

N.H. officer shot; one arrested, one at large

The Associated Press

MANCHESTER, N.H.- Police arrested one suspect and were looking for another early Monday after a shooting in the inner city that critically wounded a police officer.

Heavily armed SWAT teams from state and city police cordoned off and searched a wide area as pupils were locked in classrooms with teachers in a handful of schools.

"They are doing a yard-to-yard search," police Capt. Richard Tracy said.

Few details about the shooting were released, but police said the officer was in critical condition at Elliot Hospital after being shot near the intersection of Lake and Lincoln Streets.

The wounded officer's name was not immediately released, but an officer near the scene said it was a man. The officer, who was helping search vehicles in the area, also said one suspect was in custody, but gave no details.

A police bulletin named a suspect and said officers should consider him armed and dangerous.

A man who lives about a block away on Spruce Street said he and his wife heard six shots around 3 a.m. Monday, followed by yelling and arguing.

"We heard six loud bangs go off," said Robert Tarr, who was on his back porch taking in laundry from the line when he heard the shots. He said he quickly called police.

His wife, Pauline, was inside, sitting at her computer desk when the shots rang out.

"It took me right off my chair," she said, saying she was worried about the safety of their four children.

Other neighborhood residents said they heard seven, eight or even 10 shots.

An area covering about 40 city blocks was cordoned off before dawn. As residents began leaving for work and school, officers diverted traffic around the area and searched the car trunks of those leaving for work or school.

A police helicopter was overhead and officers with dogs searched below.

Schools locked down included Central High, Hillside Middle School and several elementary schools, assistant school Superintendent Karen Burkush told WMUR-TV. She said entrances to some other schools were locked and being monitored, but pupils were not confined to their classrooms.

Tarr, a member of a neighborhood watch group working with police to combat prostitution and drug dealing, said things had been getting better -- until now.

"Now we're back to square one again. It's going to make people really on edge," he said.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.