Ohio fugitive, cop killer recaptured after nearly 3 months
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio- A murder suspect who escaped from jail in July was captured Thursday in a wooded part of town, the sheriff's department said.
John Parsons had been scheduled for trial in the April 2005 shooting death of Chillicothe police officer Larry Cox when he escaped from a recreation area on top of the jail on July 29.
He was recaptured Thursday and returned to the Ross County Jail, officials said.
A report on the escape determined that no guards were watching the recreation area when Parson slipped away in the middle of the day using a rope of bed sheets.
Parsons' mother was indicted last month on two counts of obstruction of justice related to his disappearance. Documents filed with search warrants issued after his escape say Parsons called his mother from jail and told her to prepare for his arrival.
Cox, 44, was off-duty when he joined a chase of a bank robbery suspect and was shot. He died a few houses from his parents' home.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house