Detroit police search for escaped inmate; officer's gun stolen
The Associated Press
DETROIT- A man arrested early Wednesday on suspicion of stealing a car was on the run after he scuffled with police at a hospital, stole an officer's gun and commandeered an ambulance, officials said.
He grabbed a hospital clerk but released her before fleeing in an ambulance, which had three people inside. Riley, a Detroit resident, abandoned the ambulance several blocks away near the campus of Wayne State University and fled on foot, authorities said. None of those in the ambulance were injured, police said.
"We're unsure if he's armed or not, but we're considering him dangerous," said police Lt. Linda Vertin.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman