Two escaped murder suspects from Alabama recaptured in Georgia
The Associated Press
PHENIX CITY, Ala. -- Two escaped murder suspects from Alabama were apprehended in Georgia on Tuesday, three days after they escaped from jail, authorities said.
Ashley Mangum, a case worker with the Russell County Sheriff's Department, said Johnny Earl Jones and Lamar Elan Benton were arrested, but she had no other details. Television station WTVM in Columbus, Ga., reported the two were apprehended at a Columbus motel without incident.
Jones, 17, was charged in the slaying of a child for whom he was baby-sitting, and Benton, 19, was charged in the slaying and rape of a woman. They fled from the Russell County Jail in Phenix City early Saturday.
A third murder suspect, 33-year-old Brent Edward Martin, got out with Jones and Benton but was quickly recaptured by officers using tracking dogs and helicopters.
Phenix City is located across the Chattahoochee River from Columbus.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman