Fugitive, 87, captured in Miami after 30 years on the run
The Associated Press
MIAMI- An 87-year-old woman who fled 30 years ago before she could be sentenced for killing a 13-year-old boy was arrested at her apartment, authorities said.
The boy's parents said they found out by watching the news.
"My wife was yelling, 'They caught her! They caught her! Maria Otero! Maria Otero!'" said his father, Juan Perez. "I thought that book closed long ago."
Otero was found guilty of second-degree murder in 1976 for the shooting death of Johnny Perez. A judge released her on $50,000 bond to get her personal affairs in order before sentencing.
In 1975, the boy and four friends jumped into the pool of an upscale waterfront apartment building owned by Otero. Otero reportedly stood on the balcony of her apartment building and ordered the youths to leave. Perez was shot in the head as he ran away.
Otero's attorneys said during the trial that her .38-caliber revolver had accidentally discharged when she slipped and fell on the balcony.
"She wanted to scare them away. It was a freak shot," defense attorney Donald Bierman told The Miami Herald on Thursday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds