Search continues for suspect wanted for shooting Utah park ranger
MOAB, Utah — Authorities searching for a suspect in the shooting of a Utah park ranger say they plan to stop pursuing him using foot patrols and instead focus on perimeter security.
The Grand County sheriff's office said SWAT teams will be on standby if they get credible information about 40-year-old Lance Leeroy Arellano (air-ee-AH'-no). Authorities say they believe Arellano is armed, dangerous and likely hurt.
Authorities have been searching for Arellano around the red rock canyons near Moab. Authorities say he was wounded in a shootout on Friday with 34-year-old park ranger Brody Young.
The sheriff's office says Arellano has a criminal history including charges of assault, possession of a controlled substance, drug paraphernalia and theft.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court