Search continues for suspect wanted for shooting Utah park ranger
MOAB, Utah — Authorities searching for a suspect in the shooting of a Utah park ranger say they plan to stop pursuing him using foot patrols and instead focus on perimeter security.
The Grand County sheriff's office said SWAT teams will be on standby if they get credible information about 40-year-old Lance Leeroy Arellano (air-ee-AH'-no). Authorities say they believe Arellano is armed, dangerous and likely hurt.
Authorities have been searching for Arellano around the red rock canyons near Moab. Authorities say he was wounded in a shootout on Friday with 34-year-old park ranger Brody Young.
The sheriff's office says Arellano has a criminal history including charges of assault, possession of a controlled substance, drug paraphernalia and theft.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds