Nevada cops search for man who shot deputy
Authorities say the 43-year-old suspect is armed and dangerous
LAS VEGAS — Rural Nevada deputies are searching for a gunman who opened fire on police, leaving a deputy critically injured.
KRNV-TV reports the Elko County sheriff's office is searching for 43-year-old Peter Coca. They say he's armed and dangerous.
Officials in the northeastern Nevada county say deputies found Coca holding a rifle on the roof of a house at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday and he fired 25 to 30 shots. Deputies returned fire.
They say Coca shot Deputy Lenwood VanNatter multiple times in the chest, hip and legs. VanNatter was taken to the University of Utah hospital, where he underwent surgery.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds