17-year-old arrested in killing of Ga. deputy
Rick Daly had been in law enforcement for more than two decades
Duty Death: Richard Daly - [Clayton County, Georgia]
JONESBORO, Ga. — Police say they have arrested a teenager suspected of fatally shooting a sheriff's deputy south of Atlanta.
Clayton County Sheriff Kem Kimbrough said Thursday that 17-year-old Jonathan Bun of Riverdale was arrested in the killing of deputy Rick Daly.
At least 40 police officers were involved in a manhunt after the shooting Wednesday.
The sheriff says Daly was making a traffic stop so officers could serve a warrant on Bun for an armed robbery charge when the shooting occurred.
He says the 55-year-old Daly had been in law enforcement for more than two decades.
Kimbrough says it's the first time a Clayton County deputy has been killed in the line of duty.
The sheriff says Bun is being treated at a hospital for bites from a police dog.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman