Calif. prisoner steals fire engine to escape
SAN DIEGO — An official says an inmate escaped from a state prison in San Diego County by stealing the prison fire engine on New Year's Day.
Authorities are seeking 51-year-old Thomas Kelley, a convicted car thief who was jailed at Donovan state prison in November for a parole violation.
Prison spokesman Lt. Patrick Logan says Kelley worked as a firefighter at the prison near the Mexican border. He was discovered missing Sunday night from the minimum security section.
Logan says at about the same time, sheriff's deputies saw a fire engine being driven erratically about 10 miles from the prison. Prison officials say the driver fled when the truck was stopped.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman