Miss. AG: Pardoned killer located in Wyoming
Joseph Ozment was located in Wyoming with his girlfriend, Jim Hood said at a Wednesday news conference
By Holbrook Mohr
JACKSON, Miss. — Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood says investigators have found a convicted killer who was pardoned by former Gov. Haley Barbour and had not checked in with authorities.
Hood said at a news conference Monday that Joseph Ozment was located in Wyoming with his girlfriend. Hood said tips led investigators to Ozment, who was sentenced to life in prison in 1994 for the slaying of a man during a store robbery.
Ozment was among 198 people pardoned by Barbour in his final days in office. Hood is seeking to get many pardons thrown out.
Ozment and four other inmates, including three other convicted killers, had worked as trusties at the Governor's Mansion. Ozment was served Monday with a court order that requires him to check in every 24 hours with state corrections officials and appear in court Friday.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house