Videos show 'Barefoot Bandit' on crime spree
Colton Harris-Moore, 19, ran from authorities for two years, stole planes and went on joyrides
By PoliceOne Staff
A notorious teen who ran from authorities for two years and committed dozens of crimes recorded seven videos just released to the public that detail parts of the spree.
In the longest of the clips, "Barefoot Bandit" Colton Harris-Moore, 19, sits in nearly total darkness inside a stolen plane at a Bloomington, Ind., airport, idles on a runway and then goes airborne. Instruments show the flight hit 17,500 feet over the South Carolina coastline.
The flight came to an abrupt end when Harris-Moore crash-landed in the Bahamas and was apprehended after engaging island police in a high-speed boat chase riddled with gunfire.
Other footage shows him take a joy-ride in a car on a rural road believed to be somewhere near Boise, Idaho, and sitting in a forested area playing with a laser.
In December, the teen received a seven-year prison sentence for crimes including burglary and identity theft. He is currently housed at the Stafford Creek Corrections Center and is working with filmmaker Dustin Lance Black on a movie deal that would help repay $1.3 million in restitution to the victims of his crimes.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds