Man guns down veteran, escapes from police station
Suspect, 18, killed a Korean War vet in his home and escaped custody through an unsecured access panel
By Morgan Zalot
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — Joseph Fleming, a decorated Korean War veteran who raised six children in Southwest Philadelphia, stayed in his neighborhood even after it took a turn for the worse — only to be gunned down at age 80 by a young thug who broke into his well-kept corner rowhouse to steal his laptop.
Wounded in the pelvis and the stomach in the May 17 home invasion and shooting, Fleming clung to life in the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania's Intensive Care Unit for 36 days before he succumbed to his injuries on Friday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'