Police: Fugitive caught after posing for newspaper
Authorities caught up to 25-year-old Jacob Close after he took part in the (Bloomsburg) Press Enterprise's weekly "Your Opinion" feature
BLOOMSBURG, Pa. — An alleged New York bail-jumper was arrested on his Pennsylvania college campus after he posed for a news photographer and police spotted his picture in the paper.
Authorities caught up to 25-year-old Jacob Close after he took part in the (Bloomsburg) Press Enterprise's weekly "Your Opinion" feature, answering a question about the controversy over the Washington Redskins' name.
Police say Close jumped bail in a drug and drunken-driving case in Ithaca, New York, several years ago. The Press Enterprise reports he was arrested Sunday at Bloomsburg University's student recreation center. University police knew Close was wanted but weren't aware he was on campus for the summer until his photo was published.
Close was held on $25,000 bail pending extradition to New York. Court records don't list an attorney for him.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper