Native American N.M. departments get federal funding
The Associated Press
The pueblos of Isleta, Jemez, Laguna, Nambe, Sandia, Pojoaque and the Navajo Chapter of Ramah will share the funding. They can use it for salaries, training, new equipment and crime fighting technology.
Senator Jeff Bingaman and Representative Tom Udall, both New Mexico Democrats, announced the grants Wednesday.
They say the money will help provide the resources Indian communities need to adequately staff and equip their police departments.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper