Native American N.M. departments get federal funding
The Associated Press
The pueblos of Isleta, Jemez, Laguna, Nambe, Sandia, Pojoaque and the Navajo Chapter of Ramah will share the funding. They can use it for salaries, training, new equipment and crime fighting technology.
Senator Jeff Bingaman and Representative Tom Udall, both New Mexico Democrats, announced the grants Wednesday.
They say the money will help provide the resources Indian communities need to adequately staff and equip their police departments.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms